From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Blog Setup
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:25:28 GMT
My thought was just "we should host our documentation externally" and
RTD that was the first thing that came to mind.. You're right that
tool chain is kind of unfortunate.

Another option would be to use GitHub pages and just build our HTMl on
the build server then push to GitHub to update it. Then we don't have
to use any weird intermediate steps and can just take whatever HTML
output we like and use that. In order to function atomically, we'd
have to add these steps:

... build docs to HTML with Sandcastle ...
- git clone git@github.com:apache/lucenenet.github.com
- git add .
- git commit -m "time to make the docs"
- git push (configure the project with a deploy key for the account
our CI server is using)

Then our doc site (which would be http://lucenenet.github.com) would
be auto-magically updated.

That might be the lowest impact way of hosting docs externallly.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Christopher Currens
<currens.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> you do get a TOC on documentation for sphinx style, it limits you to the
> current topic (and it's all on a single page using named anchors), so I
> personally find it cluttered.
>
> However, that may not matter, since developers would have access to the CHM
> (though I'd prefer sandcastle's output over doxygen's), so they wouldn't
> have to use the online docs if they didn't want to.  Plus, I may be in the
> minority here with my opinion of what the docs should look like.  Idk, just
> makes sense to me to use .NET tools for the project.  Of course, I'd take
> Sphinx over javadoc any day...It hurts my eyes! :P
>

> Thanks,
> Christopher
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Troy Howard <thoward37@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that ASF cares about what is hosted at ASF more
>> than they care about what isn't hosted at ASF... So you're free to do
>> whatever you like externally, hence the GitHub mirrors and NuGet and
>> what not.
>>
>> Regarding readthedocs -- it uses Sphinx/ReStructured Text...So we'd
>> have to convert the XML to that format. There's a project for that
>> called breathe (http://michaeljones.github.com/breathe/index.html). So
>> the build server could add steps that would:
>>
>> - build to binary
>> - run doxygen to create xml
>> - run breathe to convert to RST
>>
>> It could commit that to some other repo like say, on github.. (since
>> pulling from a repo is how RTD ingests content).. then on the RTD
>> servers it'll pull the repo, look for a conf.py file (very simple
>> python file) and then run sphinx-build against that directory,
>> creating documentation for us.
>>
>> Woot! At least that way it wouldn't bomb ASF's infrastructure.
>>
>> I agree with Prescott that long term, using SVN for this is just not
>> gonna work out. Docs do change quickly.
>>
>> -T
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christopher Currens
>> <currens.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > That's similar to a suggestion Stefan made in another email:

>> > Though, his response seems to imply that it would need to stay hosted on
>> > Apache servers?  I'm really only saying that because it was suggested to
>> > negotiate it for a top level project, and the use of an outside server
>> > wasn't actually suggested by him.  If we can host outside of Apache
>> > servers, that does seems like the most straightforward answer to our
>> > problem, that would require the least amount of changes to our build
>> > process (probably).
>> >
>> > In regards to readthedocs.org, I think it only supports restructured
>> text?
>> >  You have to use Sphinx (python) to output your documentation which uses
>> > restructured text.  I don't know if we can output that from sandcastle.
>> >  Maybe there would be another way to export the xmldoc to that format,
>> but
>> > idk, probably not worth the amount of effort it would take to put that in

Staging:

>>  You

I only
>> added