From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Graduation
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 19:37:25 GMT
I agree with Neal on both points:

- Repeatable, documented process: We need a better more defined,
public and repeatable process for creating and building releases. As
Prescott can attest to, figuring all that out at this point is
non-trivial and poorly documented. We have a wider footprint now than
ever before but we still have a long way to go in terms of solving our
problems as a team/community/project.

- Committing to our decisions, despite alienating our user base: As
Jesse pointed out, there are users out there who will be alienated by
our choices, wether it be to use .Net 4.0 vs 2.0, use VS2010 vs
VS2008/2005, change the API to make more sense in .NET, or what have
you. We are going to have to make choices regarding the project
direction, commit to those choices and move forward, even if it does
mean alienating a certain portion of our user base. We don't like that
consequence but we can't survive as a project without being decisive
about controversial issues and moving forward.

The question I have to Stephan is, what are the significant criteria
for moving a project from the Incubator to a TLP?

In my mind, we have the "minimum marketable feature set" to be a TLP,
which is to say, we have an open dialog and an interested community
while remaining somewhat productive. I don't think we need to wait to
graduate until we have solved every challenge that we face as a
project but rather we simply need to prove that we have what it takes
to survive and grow in a healthy and productive manner as a community.
I think we've achieved that part and just need to continue improving
our process.

Thanks,
Troy

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Granroth, Neal V.
<neal.granroth@thermofisher.com> wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> Thanks for making that point.  I am also in that situation where I must support.NET
2.0 for years into the future.  While I can experiment with .NET 4.0, there are a number
or reasons that preclude its deployment or anything that depends upon it.

> However, consider what the Lucene.NET developers are up against.  I think I am not mistaken
that the current version of Java, which the Lucene core project uses, now makes use of features
that have no equivalent in .NET 2.0; use of the newer versions of .NET are essential in order
to update Lucene.NET to the current version of Lucene.

> At some point you, I, and others in our situation have to develop migration plans to
get our products (and customers) to upgrade to the newer versions of .NET