From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Blog Setup
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:36:47 GMT
My understanding is that ASF cares about what is hosted at ASF more
than they care about what isn't hosted at ASF... So you're free to do
whatever you like externally, hence the GitHub mirrors and NuGet and
what not.

Regarding readthedocs -- it uses Sphinx/ReStructured Text...So we'd
have to convert the XML to that format. There's a project for that
called breathe (http://michaeljones.github.com/breathe/index.html). So
the build server could add steps that would:

- build to binary
- run doxygen to create xml
- run breathe to convert to RST

It could commit that to some other repo like say, on github.. (since
pulling from a repo is how RTD ingests content).. then on the RTD
servers it'll pull the repo, look for a conf.py file (very simple
python file) and then run sphinx-build against that directory,
creating documentation for us.

Woot! At least that way it wouldn't bomb ASF's infrastructure.

I agree with Prescott that long term, using SVN for this is just not
gonna work out. Docs do change quickly.

-T

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christopher Currens
<currens.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's similar to a suggestion Stefan made in another email:
>
>>  The only alternative would be [...] running a
>> dynamic server on a dedicated VM.  The later would
>> be easier to negotiate for a top level project.
>
> Though, his response seems to imply that it would need to stay hosted on
> Apache servers?  I'm really only saying that because it was suggested to
> negotiate it for a top level project, and the use of an outside server
> wasn't actually suggested by him.  If we can host outside of Apache
> servers, that does seems like the most straightforward answer to our
> problem, that would require the least amount of changes to our build
> process (probably).
>
> In regards to readthedocs.org, I think it only supports restructured text?
>  You have to use Sphinx (python) to output your documentation which uses
> restructured text.  I don't know if we can output that from sandcastle.
>  Maybe there would be another way to export the xmldoc to that format, but
> idk, probably not worth the amount of effort it would take to put that in
> our build steps.
>

> Thanks,
> Christopher
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Troy Howard <thoward37@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not move docs to http://readthedocs.org/
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Christopher Currens
>> <currens.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Erg.  Was it related to the whole documentation thing?  I'm pretty sure
>> > it's "frowned upon" for our documentation to break SVN every time we do a
>> > release, so we should probably figure out a solution for that.  :P
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > Christopher

>> going to

>> geobmx540@hotmail.com