From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Graduation
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:08:31 GMT
[I started to write a really long response and then figured I should
split it to keep this thread focussed.]

On 2012-02-02, Simone Chiaretta wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>> On 2012-02-01, Simone Chiaretta wrote:

>>> As other said, while the user base is pretty big, the dev community is
>>> relatively small and still relying on just a few people.

>> Can you recommend an approach that would draw in more developers?  Is
>> there anything the current team should be doing or stop doing?

> It think there is little that can be done here:
> finding committees dedicated to help open source project is difficult,
> especially if it is not something "cool" but just a server side library
> nobody see.

Yes, true.

> Also, but that's again something we cannot change, working on a line by
> line port of a java library, with no space to creativity is not super
> exciting :)

This I fully agree with.

> I'm not a committer, just someone that cares about Lucene.net but with not
> much time.

And both your time and thoughts are very much appreciated.

>>> Also, there must be an official way of communicating to the user base,
>>> which is not the ML or some sporadic news on the site or on other
>>> blogs.

>> What would you suggest?

> I know probably all this sounds silly from a hard-core developer/OSS
> fanatic/linux hacker point of view, but nowadays marketing and
> documenting an OSS project is as important (if not more) as developing it.

It doesn't sound silly at all, I agree with you.  Writing good
"marketing" material requires a certain skill, though, a skill quite
different from writing decent C# code.

>>> But the main point is a lack of long term strategy that is shared by
>>> everyone: most OSS can go along without such things, but Lucene.net is
>>> in a position where such strategy is needed.

>> I agree the strategy must get decided on and be documented at one point,
>> but does this need to get solved before graduation?

> For this I think yes: otherwise we risk that Lucene.net "graduates",
> whatever that means, and than committers are split by the decision to
> take, and the project dies again, for the same reasons it was dying
> last year.

Understood.  I tend to agree with that.  This also resonates with what
Prescott says.

> But the final word is to people that really spend their time on code and
> administrative stuff.

Whether it feels ready to leave the Incubator is on the Lucene.Net
community with those who actually do the work having to take the final
decision.

Many thanks

     Stefan