From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Site / docs
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:02:24 GMT
On 2012-02-14, Prescott Nasser wrote:

> I've been trying to use the upload a tar.gz file to add docs to the
> site to solve the publish takes forever problem. This actually doesn't
> solve the problem at all - when uploading the tar file, it just untars
> it and commits all the files for you (saving no time whatsoever).

8-(

At least is saves some network bandwidth for you.

Given that all projects will have to move website content into svn
sooner or later (the maven generated sites are currently cursing this as
well) I expect a solution will be found cases where a single release
changes thousands of files.  But it isn't there, yet.

The only alternative would be to not create thousands of pages.  CHMs, I
guess, or running a dynamic server on a dedicated VM.  The later would
be easier to negotiate for a top level project.

> At the moment I'm trying to solve another issue - it seems that the
> Index.html page doesn't load:
> http://lucene.net.staging.apache.org/lucene.net/docs/2.9.4/Index.html
> -> loads nothing for me, view source and it's some corrupted
> text.

wget obtains a four byte binary (the byte 3 and three zeros).

> However, viewing this through the svn links showing source, the source
> seems fine:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene.net/site/trunk/content/lucene.net/docs/2.9.4/Index.html.
Does
> anyone have any idea why this is?

The file itself has the svn:executable property set, but I don't expect
that to cause any issues.

The only other thing I notice with a quick scan is the BOM.  Does the
CMS try to process static files in any way?  Maybe it chokes on the BOM
(RAT did before I fixed it)?

Can you try to remove the BOM and see whether the problem goes away?
This won't be a permanent solution as I expect all the generated files
to contain BOMs and so we'd need to investigate with infra help what is
causing problems.

Stefan