From "Granroth, Neal V." <neal.granr...@thermofisher.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Graduation
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:56:02 GMT
Why not?

I am not confident that the project has reached a level of systematic, repeatable, releases.
Is that not one of the graduation criteria?  Version 2.9.4 (and 2.9.4g) represent just a single
release and the process of porting the code and making the release products still seems a
bit ad-hoc.

It also seems that there needs to be better agreement on how future ports of core Lucene are
to be accomplished (or a concurrent, parallel, code base maintained).

One side thought ... when discussing the line-by-line vs. conceptual port, it might be helpful
to separate out concerns of " something that more closely resembles the .net world ".  While
creating a .NET friendly API wrapper might be extremely useful, converting the Lucene code
itself to be more ".NET like" may not be particularly beneficial.

- Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Prescott Nasser [mailto:geobmx540@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:38 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [Lucene.Net] Graduation

Stefan has it on his agenda to get us to graduate, so I wanted to kick off a conversation
on how we feel about that - do we feel we are ready? Why/why not. What are all the steps we
need to take, etc.

My two cents, Im worried about the sustainability of our community. I feel like we are a very
small group working on this and that if one or two key players left we'd be in a ton of trouble.
We haven't really developed great sustainable momentum, more like great bursts of effort then
nothing for a while.

We have also yet to fully determine the path we wish to take with the code base, seems we
are split with a line by line and something that more closely resembles the .net world. I
fear without determining our goals we might fumble, which id rather do in the incubator.

-P