From "Jean-Sylvain Boige" <jsbo...@aricie.fr>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Graduation
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:53:55 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm definitely interested in knowing the details about it.
Ideally again, if it's the only point of dependency on .Net 4.0 and there's a 3.5 alternative
commented out, I'm all for making your change standard until there is a stronger motive for
alienating the user base.

Regards,

Jesse

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Robert Jordan [mailto:robertj@gmx.net]
Envoyé : jeudi 2 février 2012 12:22
À : lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Objet : Re: [Lucene.Net] Graduation

Hi,

On 02.02.2012 03:27, Jean-Sylvain Boige wrote:
> Sorry again if this is not the right thread, but what feature of .Net
> 4.0 do you currently leverage that wouldn't compile on 3.5? (which
> would be fine for us) Troy, can we really compare the impact of moving
> Lucene development to vs2010 to that of moving the user base to .Net
> 4.0 ? Again, keep in mind that the best part of Lucene.Net libraries
> currently running are probably still 2.4.1, and IMHO trying to get a
> good part of those versions back up to date is not just a side option:
> enforcing .Net 4.0 was clearly a deal breaker for us so

.NET 4.0 is only enforced by accident. There is only one place where a bit of .NET 4.0 code
is used (CloseableThreadLocal), and there is an alternative for .NET <= 3.5 commented out
in this file.

I was able to compile 2.9.4 with the .NET 3.5 tool chanin while targeting plain .NET 2.0 without
any issue.

If someone is interested, I'd publish the necessary (minimal) changes.

Robert