From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] 3.0.3
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 17:57:37 GMT
There are a few patches that were made for 2.9.4 between when the 3.0.3
branch was forked from trunk and now that haven't been merged in.  It looks
like I branched it on Nov. 7th, so
LUCENENET-431, LUCENENET-433, LUCENENET-453, and LUCENENET-455 may or may
not be fixed, since that also largely depends on what was ported (that code
may be removed, or changed in the new version).

The Readme.txt, build.cmd line endings, and possibly the licence in
Contrib.SpellChecker.Test.nunit might need to be added as well.  I still
need to make Jira issues for quite a few things, regarding 3.0.3, since
right now what is left do to is only stated in a few scattered emails and
text files in the repository.  I was planning on doing that a few days ago,
but unfortunately life and work have gotten in the way.

So regarding merging 3.0.3 into trunk, I'd probably like to fix those
first.  I'm fine with merging 3.0.3 into trunk, though, I think a lot of it
is determined by our current AND long term goals.  It makes sense to throw
3.0.3 into trunk, but we're also already working on 4.0 in another branch.
 On top of that, our board report shows that we still want the existing
line-by-line port (which the 3.0.3 branch is), as well as a .NET idomatic
API which is also mentioned in our long term goals as not just an API, but
a new .NET version.

Now that we're finished with 2.x and we're in between versions, now is a
good time to talk about prioritizing our work.  An important point Stefan
brought up last week, was that we are all working on x number of branches
in parallel, instead of all working together to get releases pushed, of
course we can still have branches but we are all kinda doing our own thing,
I'm guilty of this as well.  We have a lot of goals, but there is seemingly
no priority for them (I realize current activities seems like a higher
priority than long term goals, but it just happened that way, and was never
discussed between all the committers).

What is more important?  The line-by-line port or the fully .NET-ified
version of Lucene?  Should we start on the .NET version now?  And what is
meant by .NET version?  Is it simply API differences or significant
internal changes, as well?  I'm not sure everyone has the same idea on
this, but it's *very* important we all do, and each way requires a
significantly different amount of work to accomplish.  Additionally, and
I'm being very frank about this, our goals of having a line-by-line port
*and* a .NET version may or may not be possible with the current number of
committers we have, considering the amount of time everyone has to give to
the project differs greatly by so many factors (I'm not trying to attack
anyone, it's just how life works, I wasn't as active as I could have been
on the project until fairly recently, and I'm having a little less time
than I had a few weeks ago).

I think it's important we discuss this and make sure everyone is on the
same page (it's possible we already are, and just haven't officially
documented it anywhere).  Then I think we can move forward as a group in
the project.

Thanks,
Christopher