From "Granroth, Neal V." <neal.granr...@thermofisher.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Lucene.net twitter account and chat room
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:39:49 GMT
Yes, this was discussed before.
No official discussions or decisions about the project should occur outside the regular newsgroup.
- Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Howard [mailto:thoward37@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 1:15 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Lucene.Net] Lucene.net twitter account and chat room

Re: Twitter

Sadly not a single tweet has been sent out on our twitter account.
Really need to remedy that.

Re: IRC/realtime chat

There have been some good reasons expressed by various folks at Apache
(and in our team)  that realtime chat in channels which are not
publicly logged should generally be discouraged. This is because it's
all too easy to have a discussion in which only a few members of the
community are present, and make decisions without any opportunity for
the rest of the community to have input and without the ability to
review the reasoning or discourse later. The same holds true for user
support, as it's much better to have that public and logged in a
mailing list message so that others might find that through searches
and use as a reference.

That said, people do use IRC/IM from time to time, but we prefer to
keep most if not all of the communications public and on the Apache
mailing lists. So feel free to set up a chat room and chat with
whomever wants to join about whatever topic, but for most things at
Apache the philosophy is "mailing list, or it didn't happen". :)

Thanks,
Troy