From Michael Herndon <mhern...@wickedsoftware.net>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Windows Phone 7
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:13:31 GMT
The 4e branch is exploring using PLT (portable library tools)  for that as
well, which in theory would allow you to compile one assembly that runs
against multiple versions of .NET. including Silverlight 4 and Silverlight
4 for WP7 and hopefully MonoDroid & MonoTouch in the future.

PLT:
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b0e0b5e9-e138-410b-ad10-00cb3caf4981

Porting to WP7 poses some decent challenges.  The windows mobile 7 version
of Silverlight does not support the [ThreadStatic] attribute,
WeakReference<T>, Data Slots for threads, and and quite a few other things.

No matter which approach is used, it will need more resources (time, code
contributions, contributors, committers etc) from the community for it to
make any substantial forward progress on a version that supports WP7 any
time soon.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone from pursuing it, in fact it would
be awesome to see mobile version of Lucene.Net. I just want people aware of
the challenges to curb any frustration and offer the advice of make small
milestones, keep a steady pace whatever that may be, do not go at it alone,
and continuously recruit others to contribute.

- Michael