From Michael Herndon <mhern...@wickedsoftware.net>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] 2.9.4
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 04:15:30 GMT
>We have a folder /trunk/docs, shouldn't this be the place for that?

We should have a live site for the documentation that people can browse,
similar to the parent project's site.
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_4_0/api/all/index.html. It makes it the
documentation more accessible.

The rub is that Sandcastle & SHFB generates html files with guid names, xml
& bin files that map to the html files, and aspx pages which acts as the
glue. The aspx pages parses the xml/bin files which creates the document
site.  Thus we're now required to use a server that knows how to serve up
aspx pages.

If any one knows a way to generate just vanilla html using Sandcastle &
SHFB, I could just create a folder per version and push the docs to
incubator site. But so far I haven't found an option for this.

Keeping the generated help docs inside of source would still require for
users to setup a local website just to view the documentation and it adds
extra noise in the project.

In the release we can provide a zipped file of the site and a generated .chm
or even help2/3 files.