From Aaron Powell ...@aaron-powell.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:56:02 GMT

From: Digy [mailto:digydigy@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 22 September 2011 7:42 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

From: Granroth, Neal V. [mailto:neal.granroth@thermofisher.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:08 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org

No interest in Nuget whatsoever.

- Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Herndon [mailto:mherndon@wickedsoftware.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:57 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org; lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

We're taking a quick poll over the next few days to see how people would like use Lucene.Net
through Nuget on the developers mailing list**

Currently version 2.9.2 is hosted on nuget.org, but that package was not create by the project
maintainers, thus nuget is not currently set up in source.  Going forward, we would like to
continue what someone else started by creating nuget packages for Lucene.Net.

Right now there are two packages: Lucene & Lucene.Contrib.  My question to the community
is do you wish to finer grain packages, i.e. a package for each contrib project or continue
to keep it simple.

The granular approach will let you use only what you need. We can also create additional higher
level packages which have dependencies on the other
ones.   Possibly a Lucene.Net-Essentials and Lucene.Net-Full.

Or we can keep it simple and continue with only two packages.

My concerns are that the granular approach might overwhelm people with choice. The simple
choice might be considered bloat for importing and then installing assemblies that you might
never use.

Another topic to converse about is would you like to see an out-of-band project nuget feed
for  nightly builds, branches with new or experimental features, or stable code snapshots
for a projected release?

** when you post, please respond to lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org.  This was posted to
both lists to make sure everyone subscribed to both lists has a chance to voice their use
cases or concerns.
-----