From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] style cop, fx cop rules
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:47:42 GMT
Agreed. StyleCop and FxCop are both quite handy and can only serve to
benefit the project.

-T

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Prescott Nasser <geobmx540@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't think there's any harm in putting StyleCop in the project at this
>> stage, but of course, no harm not putting it in either. It would be handy
>> for people who already have VS2008/2010, as we could keep Lucene with the
>> same style format across the project as a whole.
>>

> We should move forward to enhance the project imo. Those who are still using 2005 can
handle warnings if they pop up. It shoudln't be errors, so nothing should be breaking

>> IMO, I think the Naming, Maintainability, and layour rules are the most
>> important. I use R#, so many of the default ones there are the ones I'm
>> partial to. For example, I like my private fields to start with
>> underscores. I like my private properties, method names, public fields to be
>> in pascal case. I like local variables and method parameters to use camel
>> case. I dislike hungarian notation. I like only one class per file, and
>> one namespace per file, those being in the maintainability rules.
>>

> +1, I'll also add I prefer one class per file as well, with some very rare exceptions
(which for simplicity we could just say one class per file)

>> > It might be prudent to wait on putting style cop int the project, it
>> > currently doesn't have a command line client and if installed it would
>> > generate warnings on each time someone builds on their local.
>> >
>> > - Michael.
>> >

> If I recall correctly, we agreed to move forward with our support, .Net 4 (or at least
3.5) and VS2008/2010. Since Stylecop there isn't much reason not to include it imo, if you're
using 2005 still, then I think you should accept that you'll get warnings