From Robert Stewart <Robert_Stew...@epam.com>
Subject [Lucene.Net] Score(collector) called for each subReader - but not what I need
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:13:43 GMT
As I previously tried to explain, I have custom query for some pre-cached terms, which I load
into RAM in efficient compressed form.  I need this for faster searching and also for much
faster faceting.  So what I do is process incoming query and replace certain sub-queries with
my own "CachedTermQuery" objects, which extend Query.  Since these are not per-segment, I
only want scorer.Score(collector) called once, not once for each segment in my index.  Essentially
what happens now if I have a search is it collects the same documents N times, 1 time for
each segment.  Is there anyway to combine different Scorers/Collectors such that I can control
when it enumerates collection by multiple sub-readers, and when not to?  This all worked in
previous version of Lucene because enumerating sub-indexes (segments) was pushed to a lower
level inside Lucene API and not it is elevated to a higher level.

Thanks
Bob

On Jun 9, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Robert Stewart wrote:

> I found the problem.  The problem is that I have a custom "query optimizer", and that
replaces certain TermQuery's within a Boolean query with a custom Query and this query has
its own weight/scorer that retrieves matching documents from an in-memory cache (and that
is not Lucene backed).  But it looks like my custom hitcollectors are now wrapped in a HitCollectorWrapper
which assumes Collect() needs called for multiple segments - so it is adding a start offset
to the doc ID that comes from my custom query implementation.  I looked at the new Collector
class and it seems it works the same way (assumes it needs to set the next index reader with
some offset).  How can I make my custom query work with the new API (so that there is basically
a single "segment" in RAM that my query uses, but still other query clauses in same boolean
query use multiple lucene segments)?  I am sure that is not clear and will try to provide
more detail soon.