From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] separating project file from actual code files
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 21:39:55 GMT
Are you working with VS2010 Express? Or one of the full versions?

If you're using Express, unfortunately, it's default settings are a bit
confusing. In the create new project dialog, the 'normal' field for project
directory is not displayed, only one for name. To enable this, you need to
go to 'Tools->Options' make sure 'Show all settings' is enabled, select
'Projects and Solutions->General', and check 'Save new projects when
created'. This will get it to behave like VS2008.

If you tweak those settings (or using a paid version which has those
defaults already set), simply specify the correct directory when you make
your project, and the .csproj and any other .cs files will all be placed in
the right spot. The solution files can be anywhere, and when you create/add
the project it will just keep track of the relative paths for you.

As a side note: You can get a MSDN subscription from MS via ASF if you are
committer. I requested that, and got a subscription. Now I have a full
install of VS2010 Ultimate that I can use when working on Lucene.Net.
JetBrains also gives out licenses for ASF committers for Resharper (and many
other tools). I suggest investigating this and getting yourself setup with
these licensed products, as it will make this kind of thing *much* easier.

Thanks,
Troy