From Michael Herndon <mhern...@wickedsoftware.net>
Subject [Lucene.Net] Testing Cleanup.
Date Sun, 29 May 2011 03:52:44 GMT
I hope everyone is doing well.

I've come across a few things while doing the build scripts. I'll put in
tickets and work on them. However, I just want to build
some consensus before doing that though.

*[TEMP DIR inside of Tests]*

There isn't a consistent temp dir in the tests. There needs to be a
consistent way of accessing the root temp directory. There needs to be a
fallback in case the directory does not exist or the folder can not be
accessed.

My suggestions are that if we use app.config files, that we use are relative
paths in the configs that are relative to the trunk/branch root.

If nothing is specified, fall back to Path.GetTempPath() which the current
user should always have access to.

*Are there any preferences or other options that you all would like to see *
?

Also there might be benefit in creating a assembly that other test
assemblies can use.

*
*
*
*
*[Test Categories]*

using the [Category] attribute on tests so that unit, integration and tests
that verify integration setup can be run separately.

"Unit", "Integration", "Infra" are my suggestion for categories.

*Does anyone have any suggestions on testing categories?*

*[Testing Framework]*

Lucene 3.1.0 has a testing framework.
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_1_0/api/test-framework/index.html

*Would there be any harm in starting to port that sooner rather than later?
*

We could put shared testing logic into something like this for both core and
contrib to use, the temp directory stuff could go in there as well.

*[Building Test Data / Object Creation]*

*Would something like autopoco be beneficial in building up data for testing
with Lucene.N*et?

http://autopoco.codeplex.com/