From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] release 2.9.4
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:27:31 GMT
We don't have any sort of QA report on the latest build. DIGY called
for testing, but I haven't seen anyone respond to that request
indicating successful testing.

So, how do we want to manage this?

In the business world, we'd never think of making a release without
extensive QA first. In my other open source projects, either we've
managed QA ourselves by 'switching hats' for a couple weeks prior to
release, or just crossed our fingers because the user base was too
small.

Lucene.Net is a fairly high-profile project, with a large user base. I
think it would not be responsible to make a release without a formal
QA process. We do have extensive unit tests, but do you think those
are sufficient to cover our QA needs? Should we try to find community
members with a specialty in software testing that would be willing to
fulfill this role on our project? Should we just swap hats?

I didn't worry about this issue with the latest 2.9.2 release because
it was QAed by the user base for a long time before it was an
'official release'. Maybe this is an effective tactic? Release first,
and let the user base roll in bug reports fixing them on yet later
minor maintenance releases? This seems to be the method a lot of
projects use (i.e. no specific QA process, but rather an organic
process of 'try our best then deal with bug reports later').

What do we think about this?

Thanks,
Troy

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Prescott Nasser <geobmx540@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I know we have a number of outstanding JIRA issues, but I think most of them have been
handled for the 2.9.4 release? Do we have anything outstanding that is holding back a new
release?