From Prescott Nasser <geobmx...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Creating a ASF fork of Sharpen under a dOCL license
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:33:21 GMT

> > I haven't followed the discussion as to why you think a fork is
> > necessary. Do you think they'd understand your reasons and agree the
> > fork is a good idea?

Alex reached out to them. They said they are open to accepting patches, however their repo
and response times that Alex could see were extremely slow. Further, it's likely we will want
to do more Lucene Java -> .Net specific work that they might decide doesn't fit will with
their overall goals.

I think at the end of the day, I feel (others maybe agree), that it's easier to just fork
it at the start than attempt to give them patches and worry about lag time or rejection.

> Even if they did, the Apache Software License is the only one that could
> be used for the fork if it was to be developed inside the ASF repo.

Completely understood - I *think* that is possible. Obviously if it's not, we have to do it
else where

There's back converation on the JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-380

~Prescott