From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1072121 - /incubator/lucene.net/branches/vs2010/
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:35:50 GMT
My opinion is that multiple solution files is a perfectly reasonable
middle ground. I like to place all of the solution files in a single
'Build' directory, instead of in the root folder of different
directory branches...

Suppose we had: \trunk\C#\src\Build\

- Lucene.Net Core.sln: Compiles only the core library
- Lucene.Net Contrib.sln: Compiles core dll and all Contrib libraries
- Lucene.Net Demo.sln: Compiles core dll and Demo apps
- Lucene.Net Test.sln: Compiles core dll and Test libraries
- Lucene.Net All.sln: Combined solution that compiles all of the above

If we want to support multiple versions of Visual Studio solution
files, we could just put subdirectories under 'Build' for 'VS2010',
'VS2008', 'VS2005', and each directory would have the full set of
solution files in the correct version format.

Thanks,
Troy

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Prescott Nasser <geobmx540@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Perhaps that's Prescott's intention with the new vs2010 branch?
>
> Yes that's the intention. I started to look at what Wyatt did https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-377.
I think feel that it works well as designed.

> Question: Wyatt has included the nunit.dll's I know we had a conversation before about
this. But I think being able to pull down everything, open a single solution which has test,
contrib, src, as well as the required dependancies would be a huge boon to getting people
to work on this stuff.

> Every change I need to make for 2.9.2-2.9.5 requires me to touch the tests. it just makes
sense from my perspective to have this all in the same solution ready to roll.

> Is this something people are open too having in the source control, or something I should
keep to my local? Also, I don't recall the legal stuff behind including nunit.