From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Re: Luke.Net
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 05:14:45 GMT
On 2011-02-21, Troy Howard wrote:

> As a general question about process around accepting software
> contributions, one thing I'm a little confused about: How does
> accepting this contribution differ from a normal contribution?

Not much.

> By that I mean, suppose a developer contributed a significant patch to
> our code, through the normal process or attaching a patch to a JIRA
> ticket. My understanding is that they don't need to sign a CLA or
> other legal paperwork to do that, as long as the committers who
> ultimately apply the patch have those on file.

As long as they have checked the checkbox that says "yes, you may use
it".

> What are the criteria that determine when something needs additional
> legal paperwork (like a grant/contributor CLA/etc)?

This is some sort of gray area.  There are certain cases where the
answer is easy.  If we talk about a few lines of patch then we don't
need a CLA, if it is a big existing project with several contributors we
need CLAs or SGAs.  For anything in between it is a judgement call.

In Luke.NET's case we have at least two people who've worked on the code
base.  Even if Aaron attached the code to a JIRA ticket and checked the
"this is a contribution" checkbox that could not cover the work of his
collegue.

Stefan