From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Luke.Net
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:49:47 GMT
On 2011-02-18, Troy Howard wrote:

> Sergey is already planning to include the Apache License header in the
> files when he imports them. Other than that, is there any legal
> process we need to go through to bring this code into the Lucene.Net
> fold?

Yes, absolutely.

First of all you can't change the license without Aaron's consent - and
that of all other people who have contributed to Luke.NET so far (I'm
assuming it is just Aaron's colleague).  I've just performed a cursory
look right now and can't find any information about Luke.NET's current
license.

Second we'd need a software grant by Aaron and his colleague.
Alternatively Aaron and his colleague could sign ICLAs but for complete
code imports a sofware grant is preferred.  See
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/>.  If the code was created on company
time Aaron may need to check with his employer and have the employer
sign a SGA or CCLA, but he'll know better than us.

Finally we'd have to follow the IP-Clearance process
<http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html> before the code
can be imported.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like too much legal hassle, but this is the
only way the ASF can be sure it has all necessary rights to actually
distribute the code.

Stefan