From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vote thread started on general@lucene.apache.org
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:17:45 GMT
Scott,

I agree with everything you said. My opinion is that one of the
largest failings of the current Lucene.Net development effort is that
there's too much "magic" in the conversion process. This is assuming
we continue with Lucene.Net as a line-by-line automated port.

As Heath said, the details of how we run the project are up to the
next group of committers to decide once that group has been
established. I'm sure this issue (as well as numerous other issues)
will be discussed in great detail and length by the community at that
time.

Thanks,
Troy

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Lombard, Scott
<slombard@kingindustries.com> wrote:
> Troy,
>
> My feeling is that a combination Java and .Net experience is needed.  Some people will
focus on Bug fixes in the .Net code while other focus on the translation of the code as their
experience allows.

> One of the things I would like to see different with Lucene.Net is that the method conversion
is kept in the SVN or Wiki. I feel the pre and post processing as well as possibly extensions
to what ever tool that is used for the conversion are more important to this project then
the actual executed code.  Keeping a focus on making strong conversion tools as a community
should help reduce the lag between a Java releases to a .Net releases.  We then won't be
waiting for one person to make the conversion.

> Scott

to put Lucene.Net back in to incubation.  I will need other people to step up and be committers
as well.  Heath has volunteered and as Grant has stated 4 committers are needed to for incubation.
 Who else is willing to be a committer?

>> Grant I will definitely be taking you up on your offer to help on bring Lucene.Net
into incubation.

>> Scott

not think I am qualified. (I guess if I was, I could just use Lucene proper and that would
be that)

>>> As to other duties of a committer, I think the ASF is perceived as a black box
of questions for most of us.

>>> For one, I don't think anyone outside the 4 committers even understand *why*
it is a good thing to be on the ASF vs. CodePlex, Sourceforge, etc.  Maybe if there was an
understanding of the why, the requirements of the ASF would make more sense.  I think a lot
of us right now just perceive the ASF as the group that is wanting to kill Lucene.net.

>> I don't think we have a desire to kill it, I just think we are faced with the unfortunate
reality that the project is already dead and now us on the PMC have the unfortunate job of
cleaning up the mess as best we can.  Again, it is not even that we want to see it go away,
we on the PMC just don't want to be responsible for it's upkeep.  You give me the names of
4 people who are willing to be committers (i.e. people willing to volunteer their time) and
I will do my best to get the project into the Incubator.  However, I have to tell you, my
willingness to help is diminishing with every trip we take around this same circle of discussion.

>> Simply put, given the way the vote has gone so far, the Lucene PMC is no longer interested
in sustaining this project.  If the community wishes to see it live at the ASF then one of
you had better step up and spend 20-30 minutes of your time writing up the draft proposal
(most of it can be copied and pasted) and circulating it.  In fact, given the amount of time
some of you have no doubt spent writing on this and other related threads you could have put
together the large majority of the proposal, circulated the draft and got other volunteers
to help and already be moving forward in a positive direction.  Truth be told, I would do
it, but I am explicitly not going to because I think that if the community can't take that
one step to move forward, then it truly doesn't deserve to.

>>> I get your comments about the slower than slow development, but that is also
somewhat of a sign that it works.  While 2.9.2 may be behind, it seems very stable with very
few issues.  If we send the project to the attic, how will anyone be able to submit bugfixes
ever?  Frankly, I use 2.9.2 every day and have not found bugs in the areas that I use...
but I'm sure they are in there somewhere.

>>> As for the name, I thought Lucene.net was the name of the project back in the
SourceForge days...
>>> So my question is based on the premise that "if the lucene.net name was brought
*to* ASF, why can the community not leave with it?"

>> Again, IANAL, but just b/c it was improperly used beforehand does not mean it is
legally owned by some other entity.  The Lucene name has been at the ASF since 2001 and Lucene.NET
is also now a part of the ASF.  (If your interested, go look at the discussions around iBatis
and the movement of that community to MyBatis)