From Michael Herndon <mhern...@o19s.com>
Subject Proposal Stage: Net Idiomatic Api Version
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:35:55 GMT
*Net Idiomatic Api Version*
*We should probably be looking for with this criteria is readability &
getting people familiar with any new code base faster within their own
Idiom.  *
*
*
Starting with a proposal that we use the internal Ms coding
guidelines<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brada/archive/2005/01/26/361363.aspx>
for
the idiomatic version, not to make anyone's life miserable or coding less
enjoyable or anything.

But its already documented, we can easily point to it without having to
write up our own guidelines, and everyone who works inside of .net should be
remotely familiar with it, meaning someone can just come in and crank out
code.

If need be, we let people work on the code base in their own style and when
they are done working on a particular area, let them reformat it or just run
a tool that auto formats code before each release.

I know their is religious wars fought over this stuff, I don't want to
create one.  I could be wrong about the above, but what again, the goals
should be familiarity, comfort, creating a bigger community.

Also uses of core Interfaces, Annotations, & Classes where possible.  (What
are some of these that you would like to see other than IDisposable?)

A good book to comb over with the latest edition is the  "Framework Design
Guidelines" 2nd edition.

*
*

--