From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal Stage: Net Idiomatic Api Version
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2011 00:50:11 GMT
I agree with the suggestion to follow the MS Coding standard. It's a
good general guideline. Specifically, I'd like to follow all
guidelines put forth in the book:

Framework Design Guidelines: Conventions, Idioms, and Patterns for
Reusable .NET Libraries by Krzysztof Cwalina and Brad Abrams
http://amzn.com/0321246756

There's also a lecture that Krysztof gave that's available as a
offline video download here (the streaming version isn't available at
the moment for some reason):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/0/8/808412ec-2561-413d-a9e3-5cd47d37d763/FDGNetCast.zip

With regards to the specifics of the API, I think we should try to
bring together the existing forks (Lucere, Lucille, and Aimee.Net) and
attempt to merge them into a single consistent alternative API for
Lucene.Net. They all use similar but slightly different tactics to
".NETify" the codebase.

Also, significant community feedback will be necessary before we
proceed to far down that road. We'll have a lot of work ahead of us
just getting up to date releases finished for the 1:1 API port. It's
my opinion though, that these can be separate and parallel development
efforts.

I made a request of the community in the Lucere project mailing list
to respond with ideas about what an ideal .NET API would look like,
and how it would function. Specifically, I was hoping to get
pseudo-code examples of how end users would like to use Lucene. Even
something as simple as:

using(var luceneIndex = new LuceneIndex.Open("C:\foo\bar"))
{
  var hitDocs = from doc in luceneIndex where
doc.Field["content"].Match("foo") select doc;
}

This represents a lot of ideas all in one little code snippet. Maybe
this isn't an ideal API, maybe it is... If we collect a bunch of code
samples from people like this, we can discuss the merits of various
ideas for the API and settle on an ideal way to present the
functionality of the library in a way that will integrate well with
the .NET 3.5/4.0 environment.

I didn't get a lot of responses in the Lucere mailing list but perhaps
the Lucene.Net community will have some ideas. We should probably
cross-post to the lucene-net-user mailing list with a request for
ideas.

Thanks,
Troy