From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vote thread started on general@lucene.apache.org
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:38:22 GMT
Scott,

I will gladly help put this proposal together and would like to
volunteer as a committer. I am  communicating with others to find some
additional candidates to be committers.

Regarding Heath, a quote from his last message in this thread:

"While I have developed extensively against Lucene.net, I do not
possess the java skills needed to do a port of the code... So, while I
wouldn't mind being a committer, I do not think I am qualified."

Thanks,
Troy

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Lombard, Scott
<slombard@kingindustries.com> wrote:
> Grant,
>
> Thanks for your time explaining all the details.  I will be willing work on a proposal
to put Lucene.Net back in to incubation.  I will need other people to step up and be committers
as well.  Heath has volunteered and as Grant has stated 4 committers are needed to for incubation.
 Who else is willing to be a committer?

> Grant I will definitely be taking you up on your offer to help on bring Lucene.Net into
incubation.

> Scott

not think I am qualified. (I guess if I was, I could just use Lucene proper and that would
be that)

>> As to other duties of a committer, I think the ASF is perceived as a black box of
questions for most of us.

>> For one, I don't think anyone outside the 4 committers even understand *why* it is
a good thing to be on the ASF vs. CodePlex, Sourceforge, etc.  Maybe if there was an understanding
of the why, the requirements of the ASF would make more sense.  I think a lot of us right
now just perceive the ASF as the group that is wanting to kill Lucene.net.

> I don't think we have a desire to kill it, I just think we are faced with the unfortunate
reality that the project is already dead and now us on the PMC have the unfortunate job of
cleaning up the mess as best we can.  Again, it is not even that we want to see it go away,
we on the PMC just don't want to be responsible for it's upkeep.  You give me the names of
4 people who are willing to be committers (i.e. people willing to volunteer their time) and
I will do my best to get the project into the Incubator.  However, I have to tell you, my
willingness to help is diminishing with every trip we take around this same circle of discussion.

> Simply put, given the way the vote has gone so far, the Lucene PMC is no longer interested
in sustaining this project.  If the community wishes to see it live at the ASF then one of
you had better step up and spend 20-30 minutes of your time writing up the draft proposal
(most of it can be copied and pasted) and circulating it.  In fact, given the amount of time
some of you have no doubt spent writing on this and other related threads you could have put
together the large majority of the proposal, circulated the draft and got other volunteers
to help and already be moving forward in a positive direction.  Truth be told, I would do
it, but I am explicitly not going to because I think that if the community can't take that
one step to move forward, then it truly doesn't deserve to.

>> I get your comments about the slower than slow development, but that is also somewhat
of a sign that it works.  While 2.9.2 may be behind, it seems very stable with very few issues.
 If we send the project to the attic, how will anyone be able to submit bugfixes ever?  Frankly,
I use 2.9.2 every day and have not found bugs in the areas that I use... but I'm sure they
are in there somewhere.

>> As for the name, I thought Lucene.net was the name of the project back in the SourceForge
days...
>> So my question is based on the premise that "if the lucene.net name was brought *to*
ASF, why can the community not leave with it?"

> Again, IANAL, but just b/c it was improperly used beforehand does not mean it is legally
owned by some other entity.  The Lucene name has been at the ASF since 2001 and Lucene.NET
is also now a part of the ASF.  (If your interested, go look at the discussions around iBatis
and the movement of that community to MyBatis)