From Paul Hadfield <Paul.Hadfi...@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Subject RE: Lucene project announcement
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:13:48 GMT
It feels to be that the problem is being approached a* about face (i.e. the wrong way wrong).
 Maybe it is the way that ASF works but do the constraints of Java define "Lucene, or should
it bigger than that?  Should Lucene be a full text engine concept that can safely be developed
in multiple languages?  I'm sure everyone would agree that it would be silly to have different
underlying file/data formats and it would definitely make sense that the rules for processing
should be the same.   But could the developers behind Lucene.JAVA and Lucene.NET work together
to define an independent Lucene project and road-map, etc.  This could then be developed in
each language independently of each other and heaven forbid, Oracle managed to destroy all
that is good about Java then Lucene would continue regardless, etc.

However, if the above (dream?) could not be met, I can't see any way other than keeping with
a direct port in the short term.  Once it is proven that Lucene.NET can keep up with the Java
development, then it might be possible to think about something other than a direct port.
 This would simply be because every Lucene.NET release is currently trying to catch up with
'x' Lucene releases and it feels like anything other than a direct port would make that nigh
on impossible to determine what needs to be implemented in the .NET version.

 - Paul.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Merkl [mailto:hm@hmerkl.com]
Sent: 11 November 2010 21:53
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucere project announcement

Keep in mind that Java Lucene is being developed actively. Once you
start to optimize for .NET, it will become harder and harder to keep
up with future Java Lucene development.

Whats does MPS do that may be useful for Lucene.NET?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 14:54, Karell Ste-Marie <stemarie@brain-bank.com> wrote:
> I have done no other past contribution other than use the product,
>
> Can I be reminded, once again, why we don't use the .NET Optimized
> approaches instead of doing a straight code-code port?
>
> I understand that the whole purpose of the project is to be a Lucene
> port to .NET, but should we not at some point in time optimize more for
> .NET than just continue to try and port more Java to .NET code? From
> Scratch? Each and every version?
>
> It seems to be that if that is the approach then perhaps it would be
> time better spent to look into a tool such as MPS
> (http://www.jetbrains.com/mps/) and then use the source java language
> through this which would product .NET code on the other side.
>
> Or perhaps I've just managed to place a size-12 foot in my mouth because
> the current process is actually almost exactly this today?
>
> Comments welcome...
>

> Karell Ste-Marie
> C.I.O. - BrainBank Inc
> (514) 636-6655

--=Disclaimer=--
This communication is to be treated as confidential and the information contained in it may
not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have received
this communication in error, please destroy it immediately and notify postmaster@palmerharvey.co.uk.
Any defamatory statements or infringements of copyright or licenses by employees of Palmer
& Harvey McLane Limited are contrary to company policy. The company will not accept any
liability in respect of such a communication. Computer viruses can be transmitted by email.
The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Palmer
& Harvey McLane Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.

Palmer & Harvey McLane Limited.
Company registered in England & Wales. Regd. No. 1874153.
Regd Office P&H House, Davigdor Road, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 1RE.