From "Karell Ste-Marie" <stema...@brain-bank.com>
Subject RE: Lucene project announcement
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:45:12 GMT
One of the interesting tricks about MPS (I'm not married to the product, but to the concept)
is that you essentially develop a domain-specific language that you can then compile into
specific languages. MPS will do what (the names escape me: Lex? Yacc?) some unix utilities
(parsers) in terms of taking a domain specific language and then compile it into another,
or into machine code.

If the core Lucene algorithms were written in a search-specific language, it would be much
easier to then compile these into other languages - optimized. The problem today, IMHO, is
that we are working with a direct imperative language, when it would be much easier to work
with an optimize language that describes that Lucene does, not *HOW* it does it.

This would open the door to Lucene being easily ported to just about anything, all one would
have to do is write the transformation to these other languages.

http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/
http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/#lex
http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/#yacc

I'm not a believer in "creating" work, but I do see a problem pattern emerge where the core
team is constantly trying to improve the java translation process which is both automated
and manual. The more Lucene will continue into a direction of being Java-specific the more
complicated and painful the process will be. Until eventually the complexity/benefit factors
will swap and it will become impossible to keep up. I suspect at this point Lucene.NET will
start "jumping" over Lucene.JAVA versions in order to catch up and try to sync up at this
point.

Does this sound familiar?

Karell Ste-Marie
C.I.O. - BrainBank Inc
(514) 636-6655

P.S. For any support requests, please use the support email or the online helpdesk application
support: idealinksupport@brainbankinc.com
http://idealinksupport.brainbankinc.com/OnTimePortal/