From "Andreas Mummenhoff" <an...@online.de>
Subject AW: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:01:36 GMT
I think IKVM already is a way, it's already working, so everybody can
download IKVM and use it together with Lucene.
But there is still a big need for Lucene.Net, it's a big difference if you
have a native solution or a "monster" with foreign classes, because the
whole java-runtime is also translated to IL.

We should continue working on the automated way, has anybody tried the
others,

http://www.artinsoft.com/so_j2ee.aspx,

and

http://sourceforge.net/projects/j2cstranslator/

?

If I investigate my results further, I can find the following:

A) TODO TASK	Anonymous inner classes are not converted to .NET:
52
52 cases, to much - has somebody an idea? Maybe something with private
classes and auto generated class names?

B) TODO TASK	C# does not allow fall-through from a non-empty 'case':
1
one case, manual correction is easy

C) TODO TASK	Enums cannot contain methods in .NET:
1
one case, manual correction is easy

D) TODO TASK	Interfaces cannot contain fields in .NET:
54
too much, should be converted to abstract classes

E) TODO TASK	Interfaces cannot contain types in .NET:
10
same as D)

F) TODO TASK	Java wildcard generics are not converted to .NET:
29
too much, no idea

G) TODO TASK	Local classes are not converted by Java to VB & C#
Converter:		2
maybe same solution as A)?

H) TODO TASK	Most Java annotations will not have direct .NET equivalent
attributes:	12
no idea, but 12 cases are not so much

I) TODO TASK	Octal literals cannot be represented in C#:
13
easy to translate manually

J) TODO TASK	The following line could not be converted:
1
only one case

K) TODO TASK	There is no .NET Dictionary equivalent to the Java
'entrySet' method:	18
provide a custom Dictionary class

L) TODO TASK	There is no .NET Dictionary equivalent to the Java 'putAll'
method:	4
same as K)

M) TODO TASK	There is no .NET LinkedList equivalent to the Java 'remove'
method:	1
same as K)

N) TODO TASK	There is no '>>>' operator in .NET:
25
no idea,

O) WARNING	'final' parameters are not allowed in .NET:
155
can be ignored

P) WARNING	Method 'throws' clauses are not available in .NET:
1266
can be ignored

Q) WARNING	The original Java variable was marked 'final':
653
can be ignored

R) WARNING	Unlike Java's ListIterator, enumerators in .NET do not allow
altering the collection:	2.
only 2 cases

I think there is hope to solve most things in one or the other way, so that
maybe 1 week work is left after the automatic conversion. This should be a
great win.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----