From "Digy" <digyd...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Problems with IndexSearcher
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:44:38 GMT
Sorry, this is how lucene works. I can not think of a case where a
IndexSearcher is needed on an not-existing-index. Could that be a XY
problem? (http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341)

"The XY problem is when you need to do X, and you think you can use Y to do
X, so you ask about how to do Y, when what you really should do is state
what your X problem is. There may be a Z solution that is even better than
Y, but nobody can suggest it if X is never mentioned."

DIGY.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Wertheim [mailto:daniel@wertheim.se]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 12:27 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problems with IndexSearcher

I get that a searcher needs an index to search, but why not let us create an

instance of the searcher which doesn't blow up untill consumed? It takes an

Directory as dependency, not a writer... The LuceneDirectory could be

responsible for initializing the dir so that the searcher doesn't have a

direct dependency on the writer. The dir should then notify dependent

searcher(s), "hey, the indexed changed"... That way the searcher can be

created and Or maybe return null as result of searches when no index exists.

//Daniel

2010/7/5 Digy <digydigy@gmail.com>

> No. To make a search, you have to have an index

> and Indexes are created with IndexWriter.

> (creating an empty index with IndexReader(or IndexSearcher) would be
weird)

> DIGY

an