From Michael Garski <mgar...@myspace-inc.com>
Subject RE: How hard would it be to implement an encrypted Directory class?
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:19:38 GMT
Hi Hans,

I took a brief look at the Java patch & it does not look like it should give you much
trouble to port to C# by hand utilizing the framework encryption classes (disclaimer: I don't
have any experience with encryption in the framework).

As the Java patch is a new implementation of FSDirectory, I'd suggest stepping through and
understanding the current FSDirectory implementation (SimpleFSDirectory) in Lucene.Net as
a good place to start, especially the unit tests.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Merkl [mailto:hm@hmerkl.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:45 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: How hard would it be to implement an encrypted Directory class?

Hi,

I have to secure my index and I think an encrypted index would be best. I
saw this contribution
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2228?page=com.atlassian.jira.pl
ugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel  for Java Lucene and I wonder how
hard it would be to implement something similar for Lucene.Net. I am willing
to spend some time on it but I don't have enough understanding of the code
base to determine if it's feasible to do.

It seems it should be possible with the use of the
System.Security.Cryptography namespace but I am not sure.

What do you think?