From "Karell Ste-Marie" <stema...@brain-bank.com>
Subject RE: Question
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 20:34:56 GMT
Hi Erik,

While I have no doubts that Solr is a capable product I would like to
point out that it may not necessarily the question of the fact that Sorl
can talk to .NET (anything can talk to anything when you know what you
are doing) but perhaps more a problem of the comfort level that an
individual may have in committing to support a product based on a
platform (Java) that they don't use regularly.

What attracted me to Lucene.NET is not the fact that it is based on
Lucene which is a top product but primarily the fact that it uses
technology that I am comfortable on a day to day basis, is built using
source code that I am used to reading and doesn't require me to install
"Yet Another Framework" on a production server and expect an MCSE (who
openly admit being allergic to Java if only for "religious" reasons) to
then administer it.

Ed,

There was a few years back a gentleman that assembled a lucenenet site
but unfortunately it no longer exists and that site did have several
examples on how to use IFilter to index just about anything and store it
in Lucene. Lucene, however, is not exactly what I would call a search
infrastructure [quickly puts on bulletproof vest and prepares to dodge
bullets and random objects] (it does not do the indexing) but a very
well designed repository (database) and search engine. Beyond storing
content and allowing you to search it, it's responsibilities stop there.
However from what I've seen with past source code IFilter is quite easy
to implement. I'm sure if you use a combination of the Adapter and
Strategy patterns this can become trivial in any language.

Karell Ste-Marie
C.I.O. - BrainBank Inc