From "Digy" <digyd...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Question About current state of development
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:09:27 GMT
Hi Karell,

Topics like

      "using a newer version of VS",

      "making the code more .NET-like",

      or "applying best practices of .NET" etc.

have been discussed many times in the past.

Some example threads are:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-lucene-net-dev/200703.mbo
x/browser  [Lucene.Net project involvement]

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-lucene-net-dev/200704.mbo
x/browser  [Lucene.NET Pure]

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-lucene-net-dev/200911.mbo
x/browser  [2.9 Target Framework]

Before starting to think of changing Lucene.Net internals, remember that

"Lucene.Net is a source code, class-per-class, API-per-API and algorithmatic
port of the Java Lucene search engine to the C# and .NET platform utilizing
Microsoft .NET Framework."

Since it is a direct port from Java, the more you diverge from the original
code, the more work is needed for a new release.

About your Questions:

* There is no particular reason in using VS2005 other that reaching to more
.Net users; And switching to VS2008 is planned with V3.0.

* Even with C# 3.0 and .NET3.5, using WCF, LINQ or other good .NET features
may be limited (I think there is no decision about that yet)

if they make further ports from Java very hard. CCR is an extreme case which
is very hard to use in Lucene.Net unless the whole logic of
Lucene.Java(where threading is used) is rewritten from scratch in .NET(and
that would be another project).

Finally; Every contribution is welcome!

DIGY