From "Luis Fco. Ramirez Daza Gonzalez" <luisfc...@yahoo.com.mx>
Subject RE: Port of Java Lucene 2.9 is under way
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2009 01:57:26 GMT
Hi all

Well after hours of debugging my app I have a headache.
I found the problem. The new code is below. If someone can just get it and test please I'll
appreciate very much.

The problem does not happen with the Search, search is working OK. But if you call IsCurrent
the error occurs.
If you run the code, if you mark the checkbox "Force error" the exception will occur if you.
1.- Open de index;
2.- Get IsCurrent  <<--OK, NO error;
3.- Click Search <<-- OK, NO ERROR;
4.- Add a document;
5.- Reopen index;
6.- Get IsCurrent  <<--ERROR;
7.- Click Search <<-- OK, NO ERROR;

If you run the code, if you left the checkbox "Force error" unchecked then there is no error,
you can search, append doc, reopen, get IsCurrent, and all works.

The error depends on how you open the IndexReader.
If chkForceError.Checked Then
     _ir = IndexReader.Open(sDir)    '<< ERROR is you pass a string
Else
     Dim d As FSDirectory = FSDirectory.GetDirectory(New IO.FileInfo(sDir))
     _ir = IndexReader.Open(d)       '<< NO error, if you pass a directory (FSDirectory
in this case)
End If
_is = New IndexSearcher(_ir)

Saludos,
  - Luis
======= CODE =============================================================
Imports Lucene.Net.Index
Imports Lucene.Net.Search
Imports Lucene.Net.Store

<Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _
Class Form1
    Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

    'Form overrides dispose to clean up the component list.
    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCode()> _
    Protected Overrides Sub Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean)
        Try
            If disposing AndAlso components IsNot Nothing Then
                components.Dispose()
            End If
        Finally
            MyBase.Dispose(disposing)
        End Try
    End Sub
    Friend WithEvents chkForceError As System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox
    Friend WithEvents btnCreateIndex As System.Windows.Forms.Button

    'Required by the Windows Form Designer
    Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

    'NOTE: The following procedure is required by the Windows Form Designer
    'It can be modified using the Windows Form Designer.
    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> _
    Private Sub InitializeComponent()
        Me.txtIndexFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
        Me.btnBrowseFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.bntOpen = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnClose = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnReopen = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnIsCurent = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnSearch = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.txtSearch = New System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
        Me.StatusStrip1 = New System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip
        Me.statusLabel = New System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripStatusLabel
        Me.btnAdd = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.chkForceError = New System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox
        Me.btnCreateIndex = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.StatusStrip1.SuspendLayout()
        Me.SuspendLayout()
        '
        'txtIndexFolder
        '
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 12)
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Name = "txtIndexFolder"
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(713, 20)
        Me.txtIndexFolder.TabIndex = 0
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Text = "C:\retrdata\WORKS_REPLICATION\WMIN_ORIG\WMIN\Indexes\Index"
        '
        'btnBrowseFolder
        '
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(731, 12)
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Name = "btnBrowseFolder"
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(24, 20)
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.TabIndex = 1
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Text = "..."
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'bntOpen
        '
        Me.bntOpen.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 38)
        Me.bntOpen.Name = "bntOpen"
        Me.bntOpen.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.bntOpen.TabIndex = 2
        Me.bntOpen.Text = "Open"
        Me.bntOpen.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnClose
        '
        Me.btnClose.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(270, 38)
        Me.btnClose.Name = "btnClose"
        Me.btnClose.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnClose.TabIndex = 3
        Me.btnClose.Text = "Close"
        Me.btnClose.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnReopen
        '
        Me.btnReopen.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(351, 38)
        Me.btnReopen.Name = "btnReopen"
        Me.btnReopen.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnReopen.TabIndex = 4
        Me.btnReopen.Text = "Reopen"
        Me.btnReopen.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnIsCurent
        '
        Me.btnIsCurent.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(432, 38)
        Me.btnIsCurent.Name = "btnIsCurent"
        Me.btnIsCurent.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnIsCurent.TabIndex = 5
        Me.btnIsCurent.Text = "IsCurrent?"
        Me.btnIsCurent.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnSearch
        '
        Me.btnSearch.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(680, 67)
        Me.btnSearch.Name = "btnSearch"
        Me.btnSearch.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 20)
        Me.btnSearch.TabIndex = 6
        Me.btnSearch.Text = "Search"
        Me.btnSearch.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'txtSearch
        '
        Me.txtSearch.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 67)
        Me.txtSearch.Name = "txtSearch"
        Me.txtSearch.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(662, 20)
        Me.txtSearch.TabIndex = 7
        Me.txtSearch.Text = "fieldName:fieldValue"
        '
        'StatusStrip1
        '
        Me.StatusStrip1.Items.AddRange(New System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem() {Me.statusLabel})
        Me.StatusStrip1.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(0, 375)
        Me.StatusStrip1.Name = "StatusStrip1"
        Me.StatusStrip1.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(843, 22)
        Me.StatusStrip1.TabIndex = 8
        Me.StatusStrip1.Text = "StatusStrip1"
        '
        'statusLabel
        '
        Me.statusLabel.Name = "statusLabel"
        Me.statusLabel.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(111, 17)
        Me.statusLabel.Text = "ToolStripStatusLabel1"
        '
        'btnAdd
        '
        Me.btnAdd.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(513, 38)
        Me.btnAdd.Name = "btnAdd"
        Me.btnAdd.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnAdd.TabIndex = 9
        Me.btnAdd.Text = "Add doc"
        Me.btnAdd.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'chkForceError
        '
        Me.chkForceError.AutoSize = True
        Me.chkForceError.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(94, 43)
        Me.chkForceError.Name = "chkForceError"
        Me.chkForceError.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(77, 17)
        Me.chkForceError.TabIndex = 10
        Me.chkForceError.Text = "Force error"
        Me.chkForceError.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnCreateIndex
        '
        Me.btnCreateIndex.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(761, 12)
        Me.btnCreateIndex.Name = "btnCreateIndex"
        Me.btnCreateIndex.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 20)
        Me.btnCreateIndex.TabIndex = 11
        Me.btnCreateIndex.Text = "Create"
        Me.btnCreateIndex.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'Form1
        '
        Me.AutoScaleDimensions = New System.Drawing.SizeF(6.0!, 13.0!)
        Me.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font
        Me.ClientSize = New System.Drawing.Size(843, 397)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnCreateIndex)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.chkForceError)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnAdd)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.StatusStrip1)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.txtSearch)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnSearch)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnIsCurent)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnReopen)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnClose)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.bntOpen)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnBrowseFolder)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.txtIndexFolder)
        Me.Name = "Form1"
        Me.Text = "Form1"
        Me.StatusStrip1.ResumeLayout(False)
        Me.StatusStrip1.PerformLayout()
        Me.ResumeLayout(False)
        Me.PerformLayout()

    End Sub
    Friend WithEvents txtIndexFolder As System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
    Friend WithEvents btnBrowseFolder As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents bntOpen As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnClose As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnReopen As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnIsCurent As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnSearch As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents txtSearch As System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
    Friend WithEvents StatusStrip1 As System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip
    Friend WithEvents statusLabel As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripStatusLabel
    Friend WithEvents btnAdd As System.Windows.Forms.Button

    Private _ir As IndexReader
    Private _is As IndexSearcher

    Private Sub btnBrowseFolder_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnBrowseFolder.Click
        Using ofd As New FolderBrowserDialog
            ofd.SelectedPath = txtIndexFolder.Text

            If ofd.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
                txtIndexFolder.Text = ofd.SelectedPath
            End If
        End Using
    End Sub

    Private Sub bntOpen_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles bntOpen.Click
        Dim sDir As String = txtIndexFolder.Text.Trim
        If sDir = "" OrElse IO.Directory.Exists(sDir) = False Then
            MessageBox.Show("Select the index directory.")
            Exit Sub
        End If

        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is already open.")
            Exit Sub
        Catch ex As Exception
            ' Reader is not open,    continue
        End Try

        If chkForceError.Checked Then
            _ir = IndexReader.Open(sDir)
        Else
            Dim d As FSDirectory = FSDirectory.GetDirectory(New IO.FileInfo(sDir))
            _ir = IndexReader.Open(d)
        End If
        _is = New IndexSearcher(_ir)
        statusLabel.Text = "Index open."
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnClose.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try
        _ir.Close()
        ' No need to close searcher becuase the Searcher.Reader is _is and is closed
        '_is.close()
        statusLabel.Text = "Index closed"
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnReopen_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnReopen.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try

        Dim newR As IndexReader
        Dim newSR As IndexReader
        Try
            newR = _ir.Reopen
            If newR IsNot _ir Then
                Try
                    _ir.Close()
                Catch ex As Exception
                    ' do Nothing, just in case its already closed an exception can occur
                    MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
                End Try

                ' Set Reader to the new reopened instance
                _ir = newR

                ' No need to close because _ir is already closed
                '_is.reader.close()
                '_is.close()

                ' Create a new Searcher using the reopened reader
                _is = New IndexSearcher(_ir)
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Error reopening index: " + ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnIsCurent_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnIsCurent.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try
        Try
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is current=" + _ir.IsCurrent.ToString)
            MessageBox.Show("Searcher is current=" + _is.Reader.IsCurrent.ToString)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("ERROR gettings IsCurrent: " + ex.Message + vbCrLf + ex.ToString)
        End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnSearch.Click
        If txtSearch.Text.Trim <> "" Then
            Dim qp As New Lucene.Net.QueryParsers.QueryParser("", New Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer())
            Dim q As Query = qp.Parse(txtSearch.Text)
            Dim topD As Lucene.Net.Search.TopDocs = _is.Search(q, 100)
            MessageBox.Show("Record count= " + topD.totalHits.ToString)
        End If
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
btnAdd.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try
        Dim _iw As IndexWriter
        Try
            _iw = New IndexWriter(txtIndexFolder.Text, New Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer(),
False, Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED)
            Dim d As New Lucene.Net.Documents.Document()
            Dim f As New Lucene.Net.Documents.Field("fieldName", "fieldValue", Lucene.Net.Documents.Field.Store.YES,
Lucene.Net.Documents.Field.Index.ANALYZED)
            d.Add(f)
            _iw.AddDocument(d)
            _iw.Commit()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Error: " + ex.Message + vbCrLf + ex.ToString)
        Finally
            If _iw IsNot Nothing Then
                _iw.Close()
            End If
        End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnCreateIndex_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnCreateIndex.Click
        Dim sDir As String = txtIndexFolder.Text.Trim
        If sDir = "" OrElse IO.Directory.Exists(sDir) = False Then
            MessageBox.Show("Select the index directory.")
            Exit Sub
        End If
        Dim aFiles() As String = IO.Directory.GetFiles(sDir)
        If aFiles IsNot Nothing AndAlso aFiles.Length > 0 Then
            If MessageBox.Show("Folder contain some files. Are you sure you want to create
the index in this folder?", "", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.No
Then
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
        Try
            Dim iw As IndexWriter = New IndexWriter(sDir, New Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer,
True, Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED)
            iw.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("ERROR: " + ex.ToString)
        End Try
    End Sub

End Class