From "Luis Fco. Ramirez Daza Gonzalez" <luisfc...@yahoo.com.mx>
Subject RE: Port of Java Lucene 2.9 is under way
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:48:48 GMT
Hi all

I've just created a new test project and I confirm that the exception occurs.

The steps to reproduce:
1. Open the index Reader and/or Searcher. (Select and index flder or wrtite the path in the
first textbox, then Click button "Open")
2. Check IsCurrent. Must return TRUE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
3. Modify the index. (Click the "Add doc" button, this will add a doc and close the Writer)
4. Check IsCurrent. Must return FALSE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
5. Reopen Searcer and/or Reader. (Click "Reopen" button)
6. Check IsCurrent. Must return TRUE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
6.1 Here I get:
"Lucene.Net.Store.AlreadyClosedException: this Directory is closed
   at Lucene.Net.Store.Directory.EnsureOpen() in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\SVN\LuceneNET_SVN\trunk(2.4.0,2009-09-17)\C#\src\Lucene.Net\Store\Directory.cs:line
244
   at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory.List() in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\SVN\LuceneNET_SVN\trunk(2.4.0,2009-09-17)\C#\src\Lucene.Net\Store\FSDirectory.cs:line
386
   at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentInfos.FindSegmentsFile.Run() in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\SVN\LuceneNET_SVN\trunk(2.4.0,2009-09-17)\C#\src\Lucene.Net\Index\SegmentInfos.cs:line
620
   at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentInfos.ReadCurrentVersion(Directory directory) in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\SVN\LuceneNET_SVN\trunk(2.4.0,2009-09-17)\C#\src\Lucene.Net\Index\SegmentInfos.cs:line
473
   at Lucene.Net.Index.DirectoryIndexReader.IsCurrent() in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\SVN\LuceneNET_SVN\trunk(2.4.0,2009-09-17)\C#\src\Lucene.Net\Index\DirectoryIndexReader.cs:line
232
   at LuceneReopenTest.Form1.btnIsCurent_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in G:\Installers\Desarrollo\LuceneNET\Tests\LuceneReopenTest\LuceneReopenTest\Form1.vb:line
268"

If instead of using Reopen you do a Close + Open, there is no exception.
1. Open the index Reader and/or Searcher. (Select and index flder or wrtite the path in the
first textbox, then Click button "Open")
2. Check IsCurrent. Must return TRUE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
3. Modify the index. (Click the "Add doc" button, this will add a doc and close the Writer)
4. Check IsCurrent. Must return FALSE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
5. Close+Open Searcer and/or Reader. (Click "Close" then the "Open" button)
6. Check IsCurrent. Must return TRUE (Click the "IsCurrent?" button)
6.1 Here I get: TRUE    :-)

My test project code is below. It is just a VB project with a single form.
Just create a new form, delete the "Form1.Designer.vb" file and paste the code in the "Form1.vb".
Imports Lucene.Net.Index
Imports Lucene.Net.Search
<Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _
Class Form1
    Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

    'Form overrides dispose to clean up the component list.
    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCode()> _
    Protected Overrides Sub Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean)
        Try
            If disposing AndAlso components IsNot Nothing Then
                components.Dispose()
            End If
        Finally
            MyBase.Dispose(disposing)
        End Try
    End Sub

    'Required by the Windows Form Designer
    Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

    'NOTE: The following procedure is required by the Windows Form Designer
    'It can be modified using the Windows Form Designer.
    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> _
    Private Sub InitializeComponent()
        Me.txtIndexFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
        Me.btnBrowseFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.bntOpen = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnClose = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnReopen = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnIsCurent = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.btnSearch = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.txtSearch = New System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
        Me.StatusStrip1 = New System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip
        Me.statusLabel = New System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripStatusLabel
        Me.btnAdd = New System.Windows.Forms.Button
        Me.StatusStrip1.SuspendLayout()
        Me.SuspendLayout()
        '
        'txtIndexFolder
        '
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 12)
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Name = "txtIndexFolder"
        Me.txtIndexFolder.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(713, 20)
        Me.txtIndexFolder.TabIndex = 0
        '
        'btnBrowseFolder
        '
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(731, 12)
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Name = "btnBrowseFolder"
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(24, 20)
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.TabIndex = 1
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.Text = "..."
        Me.btnBrowseFolder.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'bntOpen
        '
        Me.bntOpen.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 38)
        Me.bntOpen.Name = "bntOpen"
        Me.bntOpen.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.bntOpen.TabIndex = 2
        Me.bntOpen.Text = "Open"
        Me.bntOpen.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnClose
        '
        Me.btnClose.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(93, 38)
        Me.btnClose.Name = "btnClose"
        Me.btnClose.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnClose.TabIndex = 3
        Me.btnClose.Text = "Close"
        Me.btnClose.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnReopen
        '
        Me.btnReopen.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(174, 38)
        Me.btnReopen.Name = "btnReopen"
        Me.btnReopen.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnReopen.TabIndex = 4
        Me.btnReopen.Text = "Reopen"
        Me.btnReopen.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnIsCurent
        '
        Me.btnIsCurent.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(255, 38)
        Me.btnIsCurent.Name = "btnIsCurent"
        Me.btnIsCurent.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnIsCurent.TabIndex = 5
        Me.btnIsCurent.Text = "IsCurrent?"
        Me.btnIsCurent.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'btnSearch
        '
        Me.btnSearch.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(680, 67)
        Me.btnSearch.Name = "btnSearch"
        Me.btnSearch.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 20)
        Me.btnSearch.TabIndex = 6
        Me.btnSearch.Text = "Search"
        Me.btnSearch.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'txtSearch
        '
        Me.txtSearch.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 67)
        Me.txtSearch.Name = "txtSearch"
        Me.txtSearch.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(662, 20)
        Me.txtSearch.TabIndex = 7
        '
        'StatusStrip1
        '
        Me.StatusStrip1.Items.AddRange(New System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem() {Me.statusLabel})
        Me.StatusStrip1.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(0, 375)
        Me.StatusStrip1.Name = "StatusStrip1"
        Me.StatusStrip1.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(767, 22)
        Me.StatusStrip1.TabIndex = 8
        Me.StatusStrip1.Text = "StatusStrip1"
        '
        'statusLabel
        '
        Me.statusLabel.Name = "statusLabel"
        Me.statusLabel.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(111, 17)
        Me.statusLabel.Text = "ToolStripStatusLabel1"
        '
        'btnAdd
        '
        Me.btnAdd.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(336, 38)
        Me.btnAdd.Name = "btnAdd"
        Me.btnAdd.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(75, 23)
        Me.btnAdd.TabIndex = 9
        Me.btnAdd.Text = "Add doc"
        Me.btnAdd.UseVisualStyleBackColor = True
        '
        'Form1
        '
        Me.AutoScaleDimensions = New System.Drawing.SizeF(6.0!, 13.0!)
        Me.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font
        Me.ClientSize = New System.Drawing.Size(767, 397)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnAdd)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.StatusStrip1)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.txtSearch)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnSearch)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnIsCurent)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnReopen)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnClose)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.bntOpen)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnBrowseFolder)
        Me.Controls.Add(Me.txtIndexFolder)
        Me.Name = "Form1"
        Me.Text = "Form1"
        Me.StatusStrip1.ResumeLayout(False)
        Me.StatusStrip1.PerformLayout()
        Me.ResumeLayout(False)
        Me.PerformLayout()

    End Sub
    Friend WithEvents txtIndexFolder As System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
    Friend WithEvents btnBrowseFolder As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents bntOpen As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnClose As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnReopen As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnIsCurent As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents btnSearch As System.Windows.Forms.Button
    Friend WithEvents txtSearch As System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
    Friend WithEvents StatusStrip1 As System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip
    Friend WithEvents statusLabel As System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripStatusLabel
    Friend WithEvents btnAdd As System.Windows.Forms.Button

    Private _ir As IndexReader
    Private _is As IndexSearcher

    Private Sub btnBrowseFolder_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnBrowseFolder.Click
        Using ofd As New FolderBrowserDialog
            ofd.SelectedPath = txtIndexFolder.Text

            If ofd.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
                txtIndexFolder.Text = ofd.SelectedPath
            End If
        End Using
    End Sub

    Private Sub bntOpen_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles bntOpen.Click
        Dim sDir As String = txtIndexFolder.Text.Trim
        If sDir = "" OrElse IO.Directory.Exists(sDir) = False Then
            MessageBox.Show("Select the index directory.")
            Exit Sub
        End If

        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is already open.")
            Exit Sub
        Catch ex As Exception
            ' Reader is not open,    continue
        End Try

        _ir = IndexReader.Open(sDir)
        _is = New IndexSearcher(sDir)
        statusLabel.Text = "Index open."
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnClose.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try

        _ir.Close()
        _is.Close()
        statusLabel.Text = "Index closed"
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnReopen_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnReopen.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try

        Dim newR As IndexReader
        Dim newSR As IndexReader
        Try
            newR = _ir.Reopen
            If newR IsNot _ir Then
                ' READER
                ' Store a reference to the old reader to close it later
                Try
                    _ir.Close()
                Catch
                    ' do Nothing, just in case its already closed an exception can occur
                End Try

                ' Set Reader to the new reopened instance
                _ir = newR
            End If

            newSR = _is.Reader.Reopen
            If newSR IsNot _is.Reader Then
                ' SEARCHER
                Try
                    ' We dont need this since we created the Searcher with a string "c:\asdasfd\"
                    '_is.Reader.Close
                    _is.Close()
                Catch ex As Exception
                    ' do Nothing, just in case its already closed an exception can occur
                End Try

                ' Create a new Searcher using the reopened reader
                _is = New IndexSearcher(newSR)
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Error reopening index: " + ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnIsCurent_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnIsCurent.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try
        Try
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is current=" + _ir.IsCurrent.ToString)
            MessageBox.Show("Searcher is current=" + _is.Reader.IsCurrent.ToString)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("ERROR gettings IsCurrent: " + ex.Message + vbCrLf + ex.ToString)
        End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Handles btnSearch.Click
        If txtSearch.Text.Trim <> "" Then
            Dim qp As New Lucene.Net.QueryParsers.QueryParser("", New Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer())
            Dim q As Query = qp.Parse(txtSearch.Text)
            Dim topD As Lucene.Net.Search.TopDocs = _is.Search(q, 100)
        End If
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
btnAdd.Click
        Try
            _ir.EnsureOpen()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Reader is closed.")
            Exit Sub
        End Try
        Dim _iw As IndexWriter
        Try
            _iw = New IndexWriter(txtIndexFolder.Text, New Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer(),
False, Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED)
            Dim d As New Lucene.Net.Documents.Document()
            Dim f As New Lucene.Net.Documents.Field("fieldName", "fieldValue", Lucene.Net.Documents.Field.Store.YES,
Lucene.Net.Documents.Field.Index.ANALYZED)
            d.Add(f)
            _iw.AddDocument(d)
            _iw.Commit()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Error: " + ex.Message + vbCrLf + ex.ToString)
        Finally
            If _iw IsNot Nothing Then
                _iw.Close()
            End If