From Robert Jordan <robe...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Makefile for *nix platforms to build Lucene.Net with Mono
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 13:55:57 GMT
Sorry, I did not realize that the current Lucene.Net does not provide
VS.NET 2003 (.NET 1.1) solutions/projects anymore.

prj2make is not suitable for MSBuild projects. You may have more
luck with "xbuild", which is mono's MSBuild implementation.
Or with MonoDevelop 2.0.

Anyway, you don't even need to build under mono because you can
just take the assemblies that you've built under Windows.

We're performing a pure binary deployment on Linux servers and
did not encounter any problems/incompatibilities related to Lucene.Net.
Due to the fact how we're filtering/indexing, the application is
even 10x faster under Linux than under Windows. But this is just
an artifact of Window's extremely slow process creation support.

Robert

Granroth, Neal V. wrote:
> I had downloaded the preinstalled Mono development suite, VMWare virtual machine, from
their web site.  I would expect this to show case, the best set of Mono tools and demo applications
that exist.
> But no, pjr2make fails as described.
> I also tried the latest downloadable package for Mac OS X; with lots of effort I was
able to compile Lucene, but along the way many limitations of the Mono environment became
apparent.
> For non Microsoft.NET platforms, it seems Java Lucene offers a better solution.
>
> -- Neal

solution file or the project file.