From "Granroth, Neal V." <neal.granr...@thermofisher.com>
Subject RE: lucene Search
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:46:28 GMT

Splitting words or other meta-data into searchable terms is the best approach, taking full
advantage of the Lucene data structure and offering the best search speed.  But it is not
always possible to know, ahead of time, how the words or meta-data should be parsed and split,
or from what terms the end-user will want to construct their search.  In those cases wildcards
provide a slower, but workable solution.

I too highly recommend "Lucene in Action"; though its java-based unit-test examples might
be confusing for less experienced developers.

-- Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Jokin Cuadrado [mailto:jokin.c@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 4:46 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org; njedeh@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: lucene Search

Lucene is a full text search engine, so it index the full words. If
you want to search within words you must index all the posibles search
terms with the proper analyzer.

I suggest you to take a look to the lucene in action book to
understand how the full text index searchs work.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM, tony njedeh <njedeh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know everyone is into the more complex stages of lucene, but I was wondering if anyone
help me with an answer to this.

> I am presently using lucene in an asp.net 2.0 framework. If I do a search for the word
man, it finds everything that starts with man but it doesn't  find anything that ends with
Man, like Woman, or SeaMan. Can anyone tell me how to get lucene to search within words. If
its not possible for lucene to do this search, please can someone let me know