From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Committer status
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:03:28 GMT
Hi Everyone,

This may be my bad for not communicating clearly on this subject.

If you look back at my posting to Lucene.Net's mailing list, you will see
that when I announced 2.3.1 as "alpha", I also stated that anyone who wants
committership, this is their opportunity to do so.  So far, both DIGY and
Doug have shown their commitment and in my opinion, should be considered for
commitership vote.

The reason why I have not yet take action this is:

1) I wanted to wait till be have a release candidate of 2.3.1 before doing
so.  Why?  To see if other folks will also get involved.
2) I wanted those who are committing patches to gain the experience.

I have had private email exchanges with Doug and DIGY (with DIGY last year)
on this subject -- unless things changes, I believe both would like
committership.

Now that this subject came up, I don't see why we shouldn't start the
process -- both DIGY and Doug have shown their commitment and gained the
experience.

Doug, regarding "gate keeper", in my opinion, anyone who has committership
privilege, must be a gate keeper.  For me, the rules that I apply are as
follows:

1) Keep the Lucene index cross compatible.  That is, if I have a Java and a
C# application, they both _must_ be able to reading / writing to the same
index _concurrently_ (strong emphasize on "concurrently") without any
issues.
2) Keep the Lucene public APIs consistent between Java and C# Lucene.  That
is, all public, new, depreciated, etc. APIs in any ported release of Lucene
_must_ exist and behave consistently.

>From my perspective, the above two are very important -- this is what I
always watch for and refer to when I say "diverge".

Those are my opinion, as a diverse Lucene.Net community, we can agree /
disagree and it will be up to us to decide in what direction we take it.

In the next few days, I will start the voting process to nominate Doug and
DIGY for commitership privilege.

Regards,

-- George