From "Michael Garski" <mgar...@myspace.com>
Subject RE: Lucene.Net 2.1 build 3 as "Release Candidate"
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:07:44 GMT
Michael,

We would very much like to see the involvement of the Lucene.Net community in bringing about
version 2.3 and beyond, but for the time being we have started work on our own port of 2.3
to take advantage of the improvements in it.  There are plans to release our port, but as
George is the only committer to the Lucene.Net project, it may not be through Apache.

My preference is to keep this in the Apache community, but without the support of George this
may not be possible.

Cheers,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mitiaguin [mailto:mitiaguinm@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:57 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucene.Net 2.1 build 3 as "Release Candidate"

George/Michael,

As I can't see any response, would it be possible  to provide more
information whether the assistance offered is going to happen  . It is
a  good opportunity  to decrease a gap between current Lucene.Net  2.1
which is still in SVN and   Java version  2.3  which  was released  a
month ago. 2.3 contains important improvements   which would be nice to
have in Lucene.Net. Also could anyone  explain what  is the rationale to
port   Java 2.2 instead of skipping it and porting 2.3 instead ?

Regards
Michael

Michael Garski wrote:
> George,
>
> Has any progress been made on the initial port to 2.2?  We have resources available to
assist in the testing and development of 2.2 so that it can see the light of day (and production)
faster, then quickly move on to 2.3 which currently has a release candidate and will most
likely have a final release within a month.

> We want to take advantage of the enhancements in version 2.3 and are tempted to start
maintaining our own port, but we would much rather contribute to the Apache porting effort.

> I understand that you are busy and do this in your personal time, which is why we can
allocate resources to speed the process along.