From "Vijay Santhanam" <vi...@spectrumwired.com>
Subject RE: Solr for .NET
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:51:13 GMT
Thanks Erik and Jeff for the info on SolrSharp.

Running java on our servers is an undesirable option for us, but I
understand the difficulty of porting Solr. Since Solr's indexing/searching
API is a SOAP/Web Service, it doesn't matter where it runs.

Solr is all-round fantastic solution for a search engine. I'll definitely
consider using it on future projects.

Coming back to Lucene, where can I receive some guidance and instruction on
what to port from Java to C#? I'm eager to contribute, but still not sure
what needs doing :(

We use Lucene.Net 2.0.0.4 in production, but I'd like to spend some of my
spare time on Lucene.Net for a couple of reasons. Hopefully I'll learn a new
thing or two about the lucene architecture and most importantly I want a
shot at writing thorough test classes.

-Vijay Santhanam

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Rodenburg [mailto:jeff.rodenburg@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 3 August 2007 1:13 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr for .NET

Thanks Erik.

Vijay - porting Solr to C# would be rather extensive, on top of the
Lucene-to-Lucene.Net port.  Additionally, as Solr development progresses,
dependencies get built into the Solr codebase that take advantage of
development progress in java-based Lucene.  Not to dissuade you from taking
on the task, just to be aware of some of the complexities that could underly
such an endeavor.

Take a look at the SolrSharp library if you have the cycles.

cheers,
jeff r.

http://www.eset.com