From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject Status of Lucene.Net
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:47:57 GMT
Hi Folks,

It has been some time since I last posted to the Lucene.Net mailing list.

I'm glad to see there is good activities and discussion going on from the
user base community, and judging from those post, I see some new "faces".
What's even better, I see folks are jumping in and answering questions as
well as helping out.

This is all well and great, but what Lucene.Net lacks is a development
community.  As some of you know already, I'm the only active committer to
Lucene.Net.  This is bad in many ways.  It slows down releases considerably,
and it means Lucene.Net will never graduate from incubation to say the
least.

For example, if you are following up on the Java Lucene mailing list, you
will noticed that about 2 weeks ago, Lucene 2.2 was released.  Here on the
Lucene.Net, we still haven't done any progress on Lucene.Net 2.1 since my
initial release going back to May 1st, 2007!  (see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-lucene-net-dev/200705.mbo
x/%3c1b2a01c78c52$d4fa0330$6901a8c0@aroushlt%3e)

(I did get one important fix from DIGY, thanks DIGY -- but there is a lot
more to be done.)

So, if you are a developer (you have to be if you are a user) and want to
see Lucene.Net in par with Java Lucene, and really like Lucene.Net such that
you don't want to see it dying, consider spending few hours a week and
helping with the port.  If you need any help from me to do so, or you are
not sure how to get started, please let me know.

Regards,

-- George