From "Ciaran Roarty" <ciaran.roa...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene.NET Pure [was 'Lucene.Net project involvement']
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:44:19 GMT
Hi

I just want to check some facts and see if I have picked up the right
emphasis from the majority of the posts.

Firstly, Lucene.NET 2.1 is due to be released soon.

Secondly, the port of Lucene to Lucene.NET is not an automatic process and
George does post-migration work currently to bring the JLCA work closer to
the .NET world.

Using the Lucene.NET effort, people on this list have gone away and made the
port of Lucene into a purer .NET version. These changes have, however,
stayed internal to their work and they have not been backported.

When I asked the question about getting involved in the project and making
Lucene.NET 'purer' - in a .NET sense - then there appeared to be a real
desire to get involved with that process. It was also noted that this would
need to be a manual process; I suggested that the next major release -
Lucene.NET 2.1 - should be the basis for this work.

Therefore, I think we should branch the code at 2.1 and work on that branch.
In that way, we do not stop the progress of Lucene.NET in line with Lucene
but we do get to make some .NET optimisations.

Lastly, I believe that .NET 2.0 was the preferred platform for this work and
that it would be ok to use .NET 2.0 specific capabilities.

Does that sound right? Any builds on this? Any problems with the approach?

Thanks in advance,
Ciaran Roarty