From "Max Metral" <...@artsalliancelabs.com>
Subject RE: IndexReader, DeleteDocuments, and a web farm
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:55:46 GMT
Thanks, this makes more sense now.  I'm thinking in the short term I'll
use UDP multicast (which is overkill, but I have the code already) to
indicate to the servers that they should reopen their readers.  Longer
term, having dedicated search/index servers running in parallel like
yours is probably the better answer.

(I'm doing something additionally silly... using Windows DFS to
replicate the index changes.  So far so good, but I imagine it's not
going to work under load)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jokin Cuadrado [mailto:jokin.c@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 4:12 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: IndexReader, DeleteDocuments, and a web farm

> 1)      Do I need to be closing and reopening those client readers in
> order to see deletes from the indexing server?

yes, lucene take  an snapshot of the directory and don't see changes
maded after is opened

> 2)      Is it cheap to continually reopen the readers, or should I do
it
> periodically somehow?

it's not cheap, so you have to reopen periodically, an for better
performance launch somo queries for warm the caches

> 3)      Do I need to be taking some other approach on the indexing
> server to be smarter about deletes/updates?

in our case, we have 3 index servers, and we send the updates to the
three, so all of them work in parallel and i don't have to worry about
copyng files. this is another approach tha you can use if the number
of search servers is small.

--
Jokin