From tony njedeh <nje...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.Net project involvement
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:48:41 GMT
I set up my lucene to a .net 2.0 framework, using VB and it works well in that environment.

  Anthony

Ciaran Roarty <ciaran.roarty@gmail.com> wrote:
  George et al

I have been using Lucene.Net in a proof-of-concept environment for the last
couple of months - with my colleague Guy Steel - and we wanted to get
involved in its development.

I am a .NET developer for a large consultancy company and would like to get
involved in making Lucene.Net more aligned to .NET and .NET 2/3 in
particular. However, I am not sure if that is something which is initially
planned for Lucene.Net. As I understand it, the majority of the conversion
has been done, initially, using the Java Language Conversion Assistant. Some
of the Java codebase uses patterns that are not best practice for .NET -
such as using Exceptions for non-exceptional circumstances. This is not to
denigrate Lucene.Net, it is one of the best pieces of software I have used.

So, this email should be considered an introduction and a request to be
allowed to get involved. I have never worked on an Open Source project
before so I'll need some guidance but I am willing to learn. I do have a
couple of questions to start with:

- Is there a roadmap for the product? Is there a roadmap for Lucene that we
will try and follow?
- Is there a preferred version of the .NET Framework that it is planned to
support?

Enough for now, just wanted to introduce myself and get involved.

Cheers,
Ciaran