From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject good incubator citizen
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 04:52:05 GMT
George and other Lucene.Net contributors,

As a mentor for this project, I've been lame and for that I
apologize.  It has come to my attention that we're not following the
rules very well with respect to voting on releases, and have been
distributing unapproved releases.

The report I received was this ------
Lucene.Net has done a few releases without any kind of vote, without
following incubator rules, putting tarballs in the wrong location,
etc. See, for example,

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-lucene-net-dev/
200701.mbox/%3c0d8701c732da$76398950$0a614c09@aroushlt%3e

I found out about it while reading the january incubator board report:

   * The code base continues to develop and new releases are being made.
   Recently Lucene.Net 2.0 "final" was release as well as
Highlighter.Net 2.0
   and Snowball.Net 2.0.  In addition, for each of those components,
there
   corresponding MSDN style documentation is also release.

Example tarball:

   http://incubator.apache.org/lucene.net/download/
Highlighter.Net-2.0-001-07Jan07.src.zip

  * no incubation disclaimer
  * wrong LICENSE.txt file
  * no NOTICE.txt
  * copyright dates (2002-2004) on license headers seem wrong
---------

I've discussed this situation a bit in private with George and he's
already taken some corrective actions.  However, I still see files here:

	< http://incubator.apache.org/lucene.net/download/>

These need to be removed, and then official votes need to take place.

I have to admit to still being clueless on how all the procedures for
these things work myself.  However, Solr just breezed through
incubation, so I encourage you to examine the processes that were
followed throughout that incubation period.

While I realize what George has undertaken is labor intensive, we
must go through these steps in order to do things the "Apache Way".
By dotting our i's and crossing our t's on the administration front
it you will be rewarded.

Another idea that came up in these discussions in how to gain more
transparency to the commits George makes is to make the conversion
from Java Lucene to Lucene.Net more open.  Obviously some type of
automated conversion of the code is made.  The tool that does this
conversion, is it open source?  Can the process be made to be more
automated and runnable by others besides George?

Let's get back on track!

	Erik