From "Erich Eichinger" <E.Eichin...@diamonddogs.cc>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0.0
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:04:23 GMT
Hi,

there are some resource leaks that lead to really nasty problems in highloaded webapplications.
I summed up the most required changes:

*)
Index/CompoundFileReader.cs:260:
Lucene.Net.Index.Compound.FileReader.CSIndexInput doesn't close underlying IndexInput (possible
resource leak)

*)
Index/TermInfosReader.cs
Index/SegmentReader.cs

Usage of System.Threading.Thread.GetData()/.SetData() may result in memory leaks in web-applications.
Using  System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.CallContext is a much better choice.

*)
Search/FieldCacheImpl.cs

cache should be a "WeakHashtable" instead of Hashtable. Otherwise cached readers can't ever
be collected and cause  memory/resource leaks.

*)
FieldSortedHitQueue.cs

the same problem as in FieldCacheImpl but with "Comparators" table.

Asfaik a possible implementation of a "WeakHashtable" can be found in the NHibernate project.

cheers,
Erich