From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0.0
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 01:18:56 GMT
Hi Erich,

In my opinion, none of those issues are critical to stop this release.

The memory and resource leaks that you mentioned, have you observed them or
do you think they exist?  Do you have sample code that demonstrates them?  I
ask this because you said "possible".  Yes, I am aware of a leak issue
during sorting when Lucene.Net is compiled using .NET 1.1, but with .NET
2.0, it disappears.

As for your WeakHashtable suggestion and the use of NHibernate, this isn't
possible.  This release is supporting .NET 1.1 so we are somewhat limited
with what we have.  No, I can't use NHibernate as it's a 3rd party artifact
and none ASF.

Regards,

-- George

-----Original Message-----
From: Erich Eichinger [mailto:E.Eichinger@diamonddogs.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:04 AM
To: lucene-net-user@incubator.apache.org;
lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0.0

Hi,

there are some resource leaks that lead to really nasty problems in
highloaded webapplications. I summed up the most required changes:

*)
Index/CompoundFileReader.cs:260:
Lucene.Net.Index.Compound.FileReader.CSIndexInput doesn't close underlying
IndexInput (possible resource leak)

*)
Index/TermInfosReader.cs
Index/SegmentReader.cs

Usage of System.Threading.Thread.GetData()/.SetData() may result in memory
leaks in web-applications. Using
System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.CallContext is a much better choice.

*)
Search/FieldCacheImpl.cs

cache should be a "WeakHashtable" instead of Hashtable. Otherwise cached
readers can't ever be collected and cause  memory/resource leaks.

*)
FieldSortedHitQueue.cs

the same problem as in FieldCacheImpl but with "Comparators" table.

Asfaik a possible implementation of a "WeakHashtable" can be found in the
NHibernate project.

cheers,
Erich