From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Setting "disableLuceneLocks" to "true" for Read-Only Mode
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:42:30 GMT
Hi Andy,

So two machines all that they do is update the index, and they are
synchronized, right?  Then you have two other machines that provide search,
right?  And your 4th machine simply hosts the index.  Did I get this right?

Sure, the search machines can be set as read-only, but they can't read an
index while it is being updated.  If you are preventing this, then you are
all set.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Berryman [mailto:topdev1@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:34 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Setting "disableLuceneLocks" to "true" for Read-Only Mode

As for the architecture of my project currently ...

Think about it as involving 5 machines.  1 machine hosts the UNC share
folder that contains the index directory.  2 machines run an NT service that
looks for changes in the database and then uses the "Reader" to delete
documents and then the "Writer" to add documents.  These machines
synchronize their work such that they each arent working on the same index
at the same time.  2 machines run a web service that provides methods to
search the index and return results.

As such ... the machines that run the Web Service have NO path that involves
manipulating the index at all.  Therefore, I was thinking that disabling the
locking on those machines would simply reduce to extra overhead that doesnt
really seem necessary for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Andy