From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: 2.1 dev branch?
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 02:04:45 GMT
Hi Joe,

Sure we can do this, there is no technical reason, it's all about commitment
and cycles.  In order to make the Lucene.Net trunk in par with the Jira
Lucene trunk, we must first get 2.0 out, then sync up with 2.0.1 and then
2.1.  Why?  Each of those releases is based on top of the earlier release.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Shaw [mailto:joeshaw@novell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:21 PM
To: lucene-net-user@incubator.apache.org
Cc: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: 2.1 dev branch?

Hi George,

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 21:04 -0400, George Aroush wrote:
> You mean 2.0.1 dev branch.

Maybe?  Jira has two versions: 2.0.1 and 2.1, and the Javadoc has the
2.1-dev API:

        http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/index.html

This gives me the impression that there are two branches.  2.0.x mostly for
bug fixes on top of 2.0.0, and 2.1 which is the next "major" release which
includes new APIs and such.

> What is holding me back from doing this is the fact that 2.0.1 is
> based on top of 2.0, and since 2.0 is still not released yet, I can't
> start working on 2.0.1.

Is there a technical reason why it can't be done, is it a maintenance
problem when merging codebases, or is it simply a time/manpower problem?
Any of these is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable answer... I am just
curious.

Thanks,
Joe