From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Setting "disableLuceneLocks" to "true" for Read-Only Mode
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 05:06:15 GMT
Hi Andy,

If you have your own solution to guarantee reader/write locking, and it's
faster then what Lucene.Net has to offer, you can use it.

"disableLuceneLocks" is provided by Lucene.Net so that a Lucene application
can be run off a CD/DVD (read-only device) thus, no lock file will be
created.

BTW, what is your solution?

Regards,

-- George Aroush

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Berryman [mailto:topdev1@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:23 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Setting "disableLuceneLocks" to "true" for Read-Only Mode

What are the benefits of doing this versus just letting Lucene do its normal
locking when set to "false"?  I have a scenario where I can gurantee that
the processing using the Reader object is ONLY going to read the index and
NOT modify it in any way.  It seems to me that disabling the locking would
reduce some overhead that I dont really need to care about.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Andy