From "Jeff Rodenburg" <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.0.0 release available
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 15:36:02 GMT
George -

I hear your concern about the 1.9 release not being finished.  I will take
point with you on the reason that it's so far behind the Java version.  It
wasn't until recently (February) that the code was posted (the Alpha
version).  The lists with Apache didn't come online until April.  Even as
such, the process of evaluating the code, finding a bug or improvement,
making a suggestion and returning it to the community has really been
nothing more than emailing you.  I know you're busy like all the rest of us,
but this process had to run directly through yourself for a very long time.
I frankly believe that many people were very ready to jump in and get the
thing rolling, but were frustrated at the process and the bottlenecks that
came with it and gave up.  Sour grapes to the community response because
you're now ready for participation is not the fault of the community.

However, that's not my reason for suggesting review of the 2.0 Java
codebase.  The fact of the matter is that the time difference between the
Java release and the C# port is growing.  The value in that time difference
is knowledge of known issues with the prior release (1.9) and how to deal
with it (fixes in 2.0).  The Java mailing list has already identified bugs
to be fixed with their release marked 2.0.  If there are bugs in the
1.9release of Java, chances are those same bugs will appear in the C#
port.
The Java community has already worked those out, and I'd like to take
advantage of those improvements.  Additionally, looking at a C# port under
the 2.0 Framework has significant differences in things like threading and
exception handling, as well as taking advantage of performance improvements
like generics.

I will echo George's request to finish the 1.9 release.  I'm not sure
there's any value in the claim of a 1.9 release any more than a non-complete
1.9 release.  Nonetheless, I've received some offers to help review
the 2.0release, and will respond to those people privately.

cheers,
jeff r.